As a dog owner, it’s extremely important to know what types of food are toxic for your furry friend. Moreover, many people may be tempted to give their dog all of their food scraps, but this is not a good habit to get into. There are some fruits, vegetables, and other types of food that can wreak havoc on a dog’s digestive system. This can cause serious health problems and send your dog to the vet. On the contrary, there are some foods that we introduce to our canines that can be beneficial to their health. It’s valuable to be aware of which types of food are safe or dangerous for your dog.
- Chocolate. No matter how delicious chocolate is, it is not safe for our furry friends. Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine which can lead to kidney failure. Dark chocolate has the highest concentration of theobromine
- Avocado. You could put avocado on almost anything (toast, tacos, sandwiches) and we’d eat all of it. However, avocados contain something called persin which causes vomiting or diarrhea in dogs.
- Onions and garlic. For instance, whether it is raw, cooked, dehydrated, or powered, keep all forms away from your canine. If one of these foods is ingested, it can kill your dog’s red blood cells and cause anemia.
- Grapes and Raisins. In short, it is unknown what toxic substance is within this fruit, but it does cause kidney failure when ingested.
- Macadamia Nuts. These nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia in dogs. In addition, macadamia nuts can affect the nervous system. Further, the signs will typically appear within 12 hours of digestion and can last around 24 to 48 hours.
- Cooked bones. Always avoid cooked bones. Your dog can knaw on a raw bone and love it. Cooked bones can easily splinter after being ingested. In large quantities, these bones can cause constipation or worst, perforation of your dog’s gut, which is fatal.
Other Toxic Foods to Avoid
In addition, here is a list of other types of food that should never be ingested by your dog. Many of these foods can cause similar health problems, including vomiting.
- Peaches and plums
- Ice cream
- Xylitol (which is a sweetener that is used in many foods)